The Hub is happy to announce that we’re advertising not one, but two vacancies, which means two fantastic opportunities to join the network and get involved with the exciting community here in Islington. It may not sound glamorous but the Operations Host is a vital part of any hosting team and with a diverse workload and amazing colleagues (even if we do say so ourselves!) this is an great opportunity to get involved with Islington and the wider Hub network. We’re also recruiting for an intern, please see below for more info.
Hub Operational Host Job Description
An opportunity has arisen for an exceptional individual to join the team at the Hub Islington – The original Hub!
The Hub is more than a shared workspace, it’s a membership organisation, a home for people engaged in change to meet, work, share and collaborate. Combining the services of a friendly shared office space, with the networking opportunities of an active and engaged member base, the Hub helps social enterprises, business start-ups and freelancers to realise their vision and develop their projects in a supportive and inspiring environment.
Now a global community with 28 Hubs across five continents, the Hub Islington is where it all began six years ago.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial and exceptionally organised person to help manage and host the Hub Islington, with a focus on operations and facilities. The successful candidate will need to be a superb multi-tasker, able to juggle the multiple and varying demands of the role while keeping their calm and a smile on their face. It helps to have a sense of humour in this role, and a happy willingness to ‘get your hands dirty’ where necessary, to ensure the smooth running of this inspiring workspace.
Joining the Hub at this time offers a unique opportunity to play a key part in running, shaping and growing the first ever Hub at a time of great expansion of the network, both in London and on a global level. We are therefore looking for someone who is not only a process/operations ninja but someone who can show entrepreneurial flair and bags of initiative, to help develop and grow the business.
- A passion for social enterprise and knowledge of the secto
- Natural organiser, with experience establishing and improving administrative systems and business operations
- Finance management experience and familiarity with bookkeeping systems
- Entrepreneurial attitude (and ideally experience of setting up / running own business
- Experience managing suppliers and contractors
- Practical approach to problem-solving, calm in a crisis and a positive ‘can-do’ attitude
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills, and the ability to develop an instant rapport with a broad range of people
- Self-motivated and confident, and an ability to learn quickly and get stuck in from day one
- Fundraising experience and knowledge of investment opportunities for social enterprises
- High level contacts within the field of social innovation
- Facilities/office management
- Marketing knowledge/experience
- Space/facilities management
- Ensuring the space is always fit for use, attractive, tidy, well signed and appropriately stocked
- Leading on an ongoing process of co-design to refresh the space/furniture, including developing external partnerships (with design schools, artists etc.) and consulting members to ensure the Hub remains a truly innovative workspace
- Managing relationships with suppliers and legal contracting
- Ensuring building security, upkeep and maintenance/Health and safety, including risk assessments
- First point of contact for technical issues/queries in Hub Islington Operations and team management
- Ensuring efficiency and consistency within the team and in delivery of services Financial management
- Budgeting and reporting, cash flow, payroll and bookkeeping – Debt collection (or supervison of debt collection via third party)
- Invoicing and responding to member enquiries, tariff changes etc.
- Liaising with FD/accountant to ensure prompt completion of company secretarial responsibilities Community hosting
- Responding to, and acting on, member needs, concerns and aspirations
- Enabling member networking through recommendations, introductions, setting up clubs etc.
- Helping to develop services that support incubation of members businesses and social enterprises, e.g. through setting up a peer-mentoring scheme, improving access to shared resources and information.
- Initiating and negotiating partnerships which drive revenue and raise the profile of the Hub
Details – Hours: 8.30am – 6pm, Monday – Friday – Three month initial probationary period at £20k (pro rata) with prospect of a permanent contract and increased salary depending on performance and the development of the business.
Location: The Hub Islington, 5 Torrens Street, London, EC1V 1NQ
How to apply: Write a covering letter explaining your interest in the role and how you meet the requirements of the key responsibilities and person specification. Send this along with a copy of your CV to [email protected] by 6pm Wednesday 9th November or speak to Anna on 020 78418900.
We will be holding interviews on Monday 14th November.
Volunteer Host / Communications Executive Job Description
An exciting opportunity has arisen for one exceptional individual to join the hosting team at the Hub Islington. The Hub provides a home to a community of amazing, likeminded people working towards a radically better world.
The Hub is home for people engaged in change to meet, work, share and collaborate on their new projects. Now a global network with more than 20 Hubs on four continents, the Hub Islington is where it all began six years ago.
As a volunteer host here, you’d have the chance to learn from, and work with, some of the most interesting social innovators in London. You’d experience life at the vanguard of social enterprise, and help shape this extraordinary community during an exciting period of change and opportunity for the Hub network.
Working at the Hub is what you make of it. We are a very small team and have a flat management structure, so there is a lot of scope for a confident self-starter to really make their mark here. We will provide adequate training and give you every opportunity you to develop your communication skills and experience in an inspiring and supportive environment.
What is a host?
A host is the heart and soul of the Hub community. From creating networking opportunities, to making new members feel welcome, to brightening up the workspace – hosts set the culture in a Hub and add value for members.
We are looking for a volunteer intern with a particular focus on marketing and communications. The role will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to help plan and deliver both internal communications within the Hub member network, and our outreach strategy.
- Working flexibly as part of a small team to make the members’ experience at the Hub Islington as enriching as possible
- Liaising with members, welcoming them in the space and responding to their feedback
- Presenting the Hub to potential new members and signing them up
- Fostering collaboration and connections between Hub members
- Planning our events/training programme for members
- Sourcing events partners that the Hub could work with to produce open, public events, such as talks, debates and workshops that could generate revenue and/or exposure for the Hub
- Using social media channels (the blog, Twitter, Facebook) to engage with existing members and form connections with influential individuals and organisations within the field of social enterprise
- Working with the lead host, create and deliver a marketing plan to sell the Hub’s meeting room-hire and co-working services
- Gathering member case studies and stories of Hub successes and helping to plan and deliver public relations activity
We are looking for someone who is:
- Self-starting and able to work autonomously
- A multi-tasker, with great attention to detail
- Full of new ideas and ready to innovate
- Great with people
- Dependable and responsible
- Some work experience (minimum six months) in communications, marketing and/or event planning
- Interested in the Hub and its ethos and has an understanding of social enterprise
- Passionate, with a can-do attitude
Hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm, with occasional evening events, three days per week. Minimum three month commitment required
Location: The Hub Islington, 5 Torrens Street, London, EC1V 1NQ
How to apply
Write a covering letter explaining your interest in the role and how you meet the requirements in the person specification. Send this along with a copy of your CV to [email protected] by 6pm Tuesday 8th November.